West side of house

West side of house
West side of House

Sunday, January 30, 2011

Winter doldrums

The skies remain gray much of the day but if I kick myself and get out the door it is lighter and brighter than it appears from an interior window. Even that filtered mid-winter light enters my psyche to make my step quicken.
A jaunt back to the compost pile will take me by the old specimen of Corylus maxima  atropurpurea 'Superba' . The dangling long tassels of dusty mauve are a delight and the color matches the softer tones of  Northwest winter skies. The goldfish are near the surface of the little pond and I dream of showing our grandchild the fish. The summerhouse which Tom worked on most of last summer is basically complete. It has added a very creative, magical and charming aspect to the very personal and welcoming space I call the nursery.


Just before Thanksgiving there was a snow. We were getting ready for the Holiday Open House and the snow really set the mood. 



 A wreath on the door to welcome all the folks that decided to go check out the new building. The dusting of snow on  the floor reminded me of how my mom's family, who had a ranch in the foothills of the Rockies, would clean their rugs. Fresh powdery snow would be brought inside, sprinkled on the rugs and swept up - taking bits of dirt and debris with it. I thought of this as I swept the snow off the new cedar floors and saw the dirt it took with it.


 Inside the summer house Tom has fired up the pizza oven for the first time and our daughter Brita and her boyfriend Amos are here to celebrate with us. You can see the little cedar birds which Tom has made for the open house hanging from the rafters. 

 The pizza oven is in full swing with candles lighting the sides and twinkle lights above.


The pathway to the summer house from the greenhouse has not been made in this photo but the stones are waiting for laying down. The path has been put in as well as some plants between the cracks. I have been impressed with a rather quiet but useful ground cover Herniaria glabra, common name Green carpet or Rupturewort.

http://www.stargazerperennialscatalog.com/images/herniaria_glabra.jpg

I used various thyme's for years and though I still like them I've found the Herniaria to be more persistent in the winter. 
The small beds in front of the summer house are planted with very low plants so the part boat/barge/sled footing structure will always show. I used a mixture of Adiantum venustum - Himalayan Maidenhair fern, Helleborus 'Joseph Lemper', Sarcococca humilis, and Saxifraga primuloidies, the dwarf london pride. I can't sing the praises of this little Saxifraga enough. it will grow in both alot of sun as well as shade here the cooler clime of the PNW. Evergreen, compact, tidy, sweet little white flowers, the texture is so appealing. Great for adding interest into small areas where you don't want a plant to take over the scene.

4 comments:

  1. What beautiful photos of the Summer House! I real labor of love from Tom. I can't wait to experience it in the summer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice work mama! You have a knack for seeing the beauty in the details, and i think it'll be really fun to experience the realm of the outdoors- being your nursery, the birds, or the crisp NW air- through your senses.
    I look forward to reading more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is great, Mary! I look forward to continuing to read your blog.

    ReplyDelete